No, it's not that close to the start of the season. No, training camps haven't even started yet. And yes, there still are two impact free agents out there who have the potential to play spoiler to even the best preseason analysis--jerks.
But it doesn't matter. Here at Straight Outta Vancouver I am committed to providing you with plenty of near-baseless conjecture every week, so my preview, aptly named "Spoiler Alert: The One Where I Ruin the Season" because I intend to perfectly predict every single team's record and season. You heard it over the jump first.
To keep everyone nice and interested I'll be alternating between Eastern and Western Conference. So without further ado, here is the schedule of upcoming team predictions:
- Boston Celtics: Rondo and health are the stories here; I give the 'Old Three' a respectable 55-27 record.
- Dallas Mavericks: Mavericks solid, but need a big move to be championship quality and win over 48.
- New Jersey Nets: How awful can you be in the East? I think about 26 wins is the baseline.
- Houston Rockets: A revitalized T-Mac leads the Morey boys to respectability and a .500 record.
- New York Knicks: Instead of building on their success, the Knicks stand pat. They remain a 30 win team.
- New Orleans Hornets: Chris Paul is MVP whether recognized or not, leads Hornets back to 51 wins.
- Philadelphia 76ers: Deep respect for this young squad. Thaddeus Young is Most Improved and wins 42.
- San Antonio Spurs: This team could be a champion, but won't kill the regular season -- a solid 51 wins.
- Toronto Raptors: The Raptors are better, but not improved enough to get over their weird roster or .500.
- Denver Nuggets: The Nuggets lost some and gained some, but didn't add enough to repeat 54 wins.
- Chicago Bulls
- Minnesota Timberwolves
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Portland Trail Blazers
- Detroit Pistons
- Oklahoma City Thunder
- Indiana Pacers
- Utah Jazz
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Golden State Warriors
- Atlanta Hawks
- Los Angeles Clippers
- Charlotte Bobcats
- Los Angeles Lakers
- Miami Heat
- Phoenix Suns
- Orlando Magic
- Sacramento Kings
- Washington Wizards
- Memphis Grizzlies (You know I had to tease you, right?)
You can expect a nice little wrap-up for each team that includes projections for their key players, the odds that they might make a big move, playoff aspirations, and even a nice little fantasy basketball wrap-up of the players on each team that might be steals, superstars, or major busts.
Get ready Celtics fans, looks like somebody's team is in the hot-seat tonight.