That was a much-needed win. Of course it's far too early to call any win a "must-win," but to start a 66-game season off 0-3 would have been... tough.
I know that most of you are doing holiday things today, or whatever it is some are supposed to do on New Year's Eve, but I just wanted to point out my favorite numbers from last night. Well, besides 113-93...
- Grizzlies shot 56% from the floor. Efficient.
- Grizzlies missed ALL of their 3-point attempts, but they only took FIVE. Love this. I know that when things aren't going our way, we'll need to call upon someone to hit threes (and we're still not sure who that someone is), but in game where we were able to dominate down low, we didn't need the threes. Thankfully.
- Grizzlies forced 19 turnovers to just 16 of our own. Still too many turnovers for the Grizz, but at the very least, if you're going to turn the ball over as much as we do you must at least win the TO battle.
- Marc Gasol: 20 points on 6-of-8 shooting, 8-of-9 from the line, 8 rebounds, 3 steals and 5 blocks. Nuff said.
- Quincy Pondexter with 13 points on 5-of-9 shooting. We're going to need that scoring off the bench
- Josh Selby played 26 minutes, dished 7 dimes and just turned the ball over once. Love this.
- We took 33 free throws to Houston's 18. Aggressive.
- Hasheem Thabeet: DNP.
All around, we just played a great game. On both sides of the court. I know that we'll hear complaints about the refs, and in some cases I could agree, but I think we can't take anything away from how aggressive and, finally, smart the Grizzlies looked. Hopefully this was the game that gets us back on track. This Rockets team is a tough, tough out. So, be proud, fellas, you picked up a good one.
Happy New Year, everyone!
For more on the Rockets check out The Dream Shake.