It was a quiet night for the Grizzlies, since we didn't have a first round pick. But we still managed to take one of the more familiar names in the draft, Kansas point guard Josh Selby.
I really like this pick. Of course he comes with a few question marks, one of which is his health. But as most will tell you, if this guy can "put it together" we got ourselves a real steal here. Nice help as a backup point guard. Chad Ford of ESPN had Selby ranked as his 32nd overall prospect.
More after the jump!
The funny thing about Selby was that he did have his name tossed around in the mid- to late-first round. Again, a number of concerns here, but worth the gamble as far as I'm concerned. Especially this late in the draft. If he can help spell Conley and even play off the ball for defensive purposes, we got ourselves a nice asset.
- Athletic guard who attacks
- NBA body
- Has deep range on his jumper
- Excels as a slasher
- Agressive defender
- Isn't a pure point guard
- A bit inconsistent on his jump shot
- Can get selfish
- Poor shot selection
- Struggled as a freshman for KU
- Selby has declared for the 2011 NBA Draft. He will hire an agent, ending his college eligibility.
- Averaged 28 ppg, 7 rpg and 7 apg for Lake Clifton High School in Baltimore, MD.
Nice pick, no complaints from me. Like him as a defender with range, something we definitely need!
We'll have a "get to know your new Grizz" tomorrow, but for now let's welcome Selby and hope that we did indeed get a steal here in the second round.