You know that old episode of Friends where Ross and Rachel go to Barry, Rachel's ex-fiancé's, wedding (with Monica and Richard for some reason) and the best man says, "I remember when Barry first met Rachel-what? He used the same church, I can't use the same speech?" That's my attitude about tonight's recap. Once again, the Grizzlies dug themselves a large hole and couldn't overcome it.
Despite getting 28 points from Mike Conley before he left with an injury, the Grizzlies fell to Kevin Love and the Timberwolves Sunday night 101-93. Love finished with 30 points and nine rebounds, and was downright unstoppable.
Memphis jumped out a to an early lead at 6-4 in the opening minutes of the game. Minnesota then went on a 13-2 run to take the lead. Mike Conley would lead a small Grizzlies charge to get back to within six points, but Minnesota scored five points in the final nine seconds, including one of their four 3-pointers in the quarter on their way to a 11-point first quarter lead.
Things got ugly, fast, in the second quarter as the hot shooting T'Wolves rained 3's down on the porous perimeter defense of the Grizzlies. They made four more in the quarter as they watched their lead balloon all the way to 19. Trailing 50-31 with 4:22 to play in the half, Mike Conley again put the team on his back, scoring nine points on four shots over that span to help pull the Grizzlies to within 10 at the half.
The Grizzlies would start the second half the way they ended the first, with Mike Conley doing everything he could to bring his team back in the game. Memphis opened up on an 8-3 run, including two Mike Conley 3-pointers, to close the lead to five. Overall, Conley would score 15 of his 28 in the quarter, and Memphis would trail by only four heading into the final period.
Memphis was within two points before a weird flagrant foul call began to change the game. With 9:18 left in the game, Ed Davis was tagged with a flagrant one foul on Alexey Shved. The call put Minnesota up 84-79 with the ball, and after Memphis fouled them again, the Wolves would go up by seven. Memphis would battle back to within three at 95-92 with 2:26 to play. But without Mike Conley in the game, they couldn't get anything to work on offense, and, like we've seen for the majority of the season, they were unable to get stops when they had to.
Game Notes from the Legend-wait for it-Diary
- I would sign Terry Porter to a 10-day contract right now. The 50 year old former player, and current Minnesota assistant coach, was shooting around before the game, and was making buckets like you wouldn't believe. At one point, he made 10 corner 3's in a row.
- Yet another good game for Jon Leuer, aka the Bright Knight, aka FamersOnly.com, aka ALeuer of the Seas, aka Jon Ball Jovi. He had 15 and 9, and got the start over Kosta Kofus in the second half.
- Ed Davis saw only seven minutes of game time, and Jamaal Franklin didn't play at all. Have to believe Ed's ankle is still bothering him.
- Memphis is now 3-8 (9 if you count the Spurs game) since Marc Gasol went down.
- Kevin Martin was scoreless on the night and only attempted three shots.
- Jerryd Bayless was 0-2 from 3-point range again, despite scoring 14 points on the night.
- Tayshaun Prince and Tony Allen combined for nine points in 52 minutes of game time. This would be pretty tough to live with even with a healthy Marc Gasol, but with all the injuries the Grizzlies currently have, these two gigantic black holes are crippling.
Memphis remains home as they welcome former Grizzly Pau Gasol and the Lakers on Tuesday night, Fans attending that game are encouraged to arrive early, as the first 3,000 people through the door will receive Grizzlies headphones.
- Grizzlies can't counter their slow start against Minnesota, Mike Conley hurt in the 4th quarter
- Grizzly Bear Blues Grind Prophecies: The Weak Links that Break the Chain
- Memphis Grizzlies vs Minnesota Timberwolves Game Preview
- Zach Randolph responds to trade rumors: There Ain't No Loyalty in this Game