The saying goes, "you need the right tool for the job." And the other saying goes, "you're only as good as your tools."
I'd like to construct a new adage in honor of Mike Miller. Something that goes like, "the tool performs exactly like it should, but the general contractor is still in shambles."
|2013 - Mike Miller||16||23.0||2.3||5.4||43.0||1.6||3.4||47.3||0.6||0.7||81.8||0.3||3.4||3.8||1.8||1.4||0.4||0.0||1.9||6.8|
Miller was considered the gem signing of the offseason by the Grizzlies, although now you could argue that Kosta Koufos was probably the biggest acquisition. Miller was brought in to provide perimeter shooting and veteran savvy.
Through 16 games, Mike is holding up his end of the bargain, draining 47.3% of his three-point attempts and matching or bettering nearly all his stat averages from last season (although the turnovers are being felt to some degree).
I see this situation relaying two notions: A) The Grizzlies didn't do enough in the offseason to balance scoring across the roster or B) We need Miller to step up in the absence of Gasol (and ZBo) and contribute more double digit scoring nights.
The former is obviously the bigger issue and more pertinent point to discuss, but for the purposes of the Grind Prophecies let's just go solely with B right now. Can Miller possibly run-n-gun 15-20 points for the Grizzlies when they need it?
I'm not certain that this version of Mike Miller, one that can no shows the ability to get to the free-throw line, can get that done without the post presence of Marc Gasol or Zach Randolph. But hey, crazier things have most definitely happened.
New month, new Grind Prophecies contest! Everyone starts over at zero tonight.
- Game Score and Winner (correct predictions receive 3 points, if no correct predictions, 1 point awarded to member(s) with closest differential)
- The Grindmaster (3 points awarded to correct predictions; if Grindmaster title is split between 2 players, 2 points go to each member who predicted either player)
- Total field goal makes from Jerryd Bayless and Quincy Pondexter (3 points awarded to correct predictions; if no correct answers, 1 point awarded to member(s) who are closest without going over)
- Will Mike Miller finish the game above, at or below his rounded season average of 7 points? (3 points awarded for correct predictions; zero points awarded for incorrect predictions)
- Grizzlies vs. Suns: Walk in the Door for $3.60
- Chef Kelly English's offering to debut in FedexForum tonight when Grizzlies host the Suns
- Memphis Grizzlies vs. Phoenix Suns: Game Preview
- NBA Power Rankings: We've.. Well Gone Nowhere
- Grizzlies Zach Randolph is questionable to play against Phoenix Suns
- Memphis Grizzlies Head Coach Dave Joerger Approval Poll