First of all as a disclaimer: if you are born and/or raised in Memphis, TN and you cheer for the Los Angeles Lakers, just go ahead and stop reading this post, please. The odds are that I don't like you, and we would probably get into a fist fight if we were locked in a room together for 10 minutes.
Additional disclaimer: this particular article has nothing to do with anyone who cheers for the Lakers outside of the people that attend the Lakers/Grizzlies games in FedexForum.
For some gosh-derned-mother-loving reason, Memphis is chocked full of LA Lakers fans. And I use the term "fan" here very loosely. Maybe I should redefine it for this circumstance.
A Laker "fan" in Memphis is someone that owns an inordinate amount of Laker garb, so much to the point that it's their only fashion statement, and they attend the Lakers/Grizzlies game in Memphis solely for the purpose of gloating to other Memphians about how they cheer for a team that has won bookoodles of championships - and they do this as if they were personally responsible for leading the Lakers to those championships. They also leave the stadium in the 3rd quarter if the Lakers aren't ahead, and proceed to complain about their FedexForum experience and the time it took to get there.
It's not about a sense of pride in something that represents them. It's about a childish tendency to gravitate towards the easiest means of success. It's about having such a fragile, emotional psyche that you can't hang with several bad seasons to produce the joy of a handful of good ones.
I bet you're the guy who interrupts a debate with your friend to rag about how he transposed a couple of his words, and you start derogatorily laughing at your friend to end the debate and insinuate that you just "won" the argument.
There you have it. My unequivocally prejudice opinion on all Memphis-based-Lakers fans that choose to head to FedexForum tonight and flap their gum holes.
Is it fair judgment? Is it a scientific analysis? No. Is it rude? Yes.
Is it accurate? Probably.
The Grindmaster from last game (vs Wolves) was Mike Conley.
- Game Score and Winner (correct predictions receive 3 points, if no correct predictions, 1 point awarded to member(s) with closest differential)
- The Grindmaster (3 points awarded to correct predictions; if Grindmaster title is split between 2 or more players, 2 points go to each member who predicted one of those players)
- Points scored by Kobe Bryant in the 4th quarter (3 points awarded to correct predictions; 1 point awarded to the member(s) closest without going over)
- Point scored by Jerryd Bayless in the 4th quarter (3 points awarded to correct predictions; 1 point awarded to the member(s) closest without going over)
- Los Angeles Lakers at Memphis Grizzlies: Walk in the Door for $12.12
- Memphis Grizzlies vs. Los Angeles Lakers
- Twelve Days of Grizzmas: Your favorite Vancouver/Memphis Grizzly to wear the #7
- Memphis Grizzlies Trade Market: Tis the Season for Buying or Selling?
- Help Has Arrived? Memphis Signs James Johnson