After a couple of weeks off for my wedding, I was able to get back into the Grizzly Bear Blues swing and also talk with my friend Phil Naessens on "The Phil Naessens Show" about the deal sending Jerryd Bayless to the Boston Celtics in exchange for Courtney Lee. As I said in my piece about the Grizz-Lee Acquisition, I believe it is a win for a team in the Grizzlies who desperately needed perimeter shooting and a wing who could defend other wings more effectively.
However, it also conjures up new questions. What will the Grizzlies do at the back-up PG position? Can Nick Calathes can do the job? Is there another move on the horizon? Then, there's this tweet from yesterday that caught my attention...
Reading the tea leaves: Marc Gasol (knee) is close to returning. Can't see Memphis making this deal otherwise.— Tom Haberstroh (@tomhaberstroh) January 5, 2014
If a Gasol return is indeed on the horizon, then the Grizzlies may be primed to make a run at the playoffs. Lee will likely play a key role in that pursuit.
I had a blast with Phil, as always. Please give it a listen below.
- How Courtney Lee Impacts the Memphis Grizzlies
- Seth Curry waived before deadline; Grizz will re-sign if he clears waivers
- Memphis Grizzlies trade Jerryd Bayless to Boston Celtics for Courtney Lee
- Grizzlies blow out Pistons on the road, win 112-84
- Jamaal Franklin assigned to the D-League, will join Mad Ants