clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Final Score: Memphis Overcomes New Orleans In OT, 121-114

Coming into tonight, both the Pelicans and Grizzlies had their fair share of injuries. In the end, the Grizzlies clawed their way to an overtime victory thanks to big nights from Matt Barnes and Lance Stephenson.

Justin Ford-USA TODAY Sports

Tonight was "Wrestling Night" in FedEx Forum, and Grizzlies fans were in for a tight southwestern division showdown. The Memphis Grizzlies welcomed Briante Weber tonight after waiving Mario Chalmers, and he showed up big tonight. On the night, he had 10  points.

In the first quarter, the New Orleans Pelicans started off hot, and the Grizz were slow out the gate. Quickly, the Pelicans jumped out to a 11-5 lead and by the end of the first quarter were leading by 4. It wasn't until the second quarter that the Grizz gained their first lead of the night, thanks to a hammer by JaMychal Green:

At halftime, the Grizzlies seized a one point lead (48-47). Lance Stephenson led all scorers at the half with 16 points. Jrue Holiday had 15 points, and Anthony Davis had 10. Tony Allen struggled in the first half and was 0-4 going into the third quarter. To add to the Grizzlies' injury woes, Vince Carter went out in the second quarter with an apparent lower leg injury and did not return. Before getting hurt, Vinsanity had 5 points off the bench. The Grizzlies' bench as a whole totaled 31 points at halftime versus the Pelicans' bench, which had 11.

In the third quarter, the Grizzlies won the quarter by 6 and closed out on a 14-5 run. Briante Weber had a smooth no-look pass to Ryan Hollins for the dunk:

JaMychal Green got things rolling in the second half and had 14 points on the night. Jarell Martin has also been impressive with the time he's had so far this season. Tonight, the rookie had 6 points. Ryan Anderson stepped up off the bench for New Orleans with 24 points in the game.

After a couple of back-to-back triples, the Pelicans cut the deficit to 3 in the fourth quarter. Things were all tied up at 85 with less than five minutes to go. Down the stretch, Matt Barnes and Lance Stephenson hit a couple of huge three pointers to extend the Grizzlies' lead. However, free throws hurt Memphis in this one. They were 21-32 from the stripe.

The score was 95-94 with less than two minutes to go, and a Ryan Anderson three pointer put the Pelicans up two. A couple of Matt Barnes free throws tied it back up, and the Grizzlies defense collapsed on the next possession and allowed a wide open Davis dunk. With less than a minute left, JaMychal Green tied the game again with a tip-in. The Pelicans didn't even get it in on the last possession of regulation with less than 2 seconds left thanks to solid defense by Jarell Martin.

In overtime, Lance Stephenson had a thunderous dunk for the Grizzlies' first field goal of the period. On the night, he had a career high 33 points. The Grizzlies soon jumped out to a 7 point lead, but the Pelicans soon cut it down to 4 with less than 30 seconds left. In the end, the Grizzlies prevailed with a 121-114 victory. For New Orleans, Jrue Holiday had 34 points and 10 assists.

Now, the Grizzlies have a quick turnaround and face the Atlanta Hawks tomorrow night on the road and look to win back-to-back games.