Two steps forward, two steps back. So has become the norm for the Memphis Grizzlies as of late when it comes to injury news.
OK, so maybe last season it was more like 2 steps forward, 28 steps back. Still, dread fills all who wear the colors of the Grizzlies when two harmless on their own words are combined- “injury report.”
The Grizzlies released an injury update (which you can read in full here) about various players with various ailments heading in to training camp in Memphis next week. Here are the highlights-
- Marc Gasol (foot) and Mike Conley (Achilles) are both full go entering camp. Both players sound fresh and ready to get to work under new Head Coach David Fizdale and his staff.
- Chandler Parsons, on the other hand, will be a limited participant entering camp and will be reevaluated weekly. Parsons had surgery on his meniscus in his right knee back in March, and while he is doing exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee and is doing on-court work he is not 100% at the moment. Which is...not ideal.
- Same with Deyonta Davis, one of the Grizzlies 2016 draft picks. His plantar faciitis has improved, but he remains limited heading in to the preseason.
- On a good note, two other players have been fully cleared for on-court participation- Jarell Martin (foot) and Brandan Wright (knee). These two will be players to watch as competition for playing time plays out in a crowded Grizzlies front court.
- And as is customary in Memphis, some injury bad news- Jordan Adams, who had knee cartilage transplant surgery in June, is not expected to participate in training camp or the preseason. There is no timetable for his return, and it sounds as if it will be a while.
The season hasn’t even begun yet and the Grizzlies are not at full strength. It certainly could be worse, but the Parsons situation bears watching closely as the season approaches. There is no reason to believe it will be a long-term problem, but the sooner the Grizzlies new $94 million man is on the court with his new teammates the better.
Stick with GBB as the 2016-2017 NBA seaon gets underway in the coming days and weeks.