A couple of weeks ago, I began the process of expanding the Grizzly Bear Blues staff through a post here on the site recruiting committed and passionate folks. The response was overwhelming. Within hours I had over 25 applications, from people from all walks of life. I received interest from people in Europe, people outside of Memphis in Saint Louis and Texas and Indiana. The process reminded me of what I already knew- that GBB is viewed as a place where good work about the Memphis Grizzlies is valued and writers can grow and take advantage of opportunity.
From the applicant pool I interviewed 12 qualified folks, all of whom clearly had a passion for basketball and potentially being a part of the site. From those strong 12, I have (with helpful insights from others) chosen seven new GBB writers. They all have a love for basketball and/or the Grizzlies, and they all are ready to add to what is already one of the best staffs in basketball bloggerdom.
Without further adieu, here they are-
- Connor “Coach” Davenport- Coach Davenport is a high school basketball coach in Texas. He wrote the very popular FanPost “The Lonely Life of a Grizzlies Fan.”
- Emeka Bakari (@EmekaBakari on Twitter)- Emeka is a graduate of the University of Tennessee and will be attending the University of Memphis Law School in the fall. He wrote a very good FanPost focusing on consistency.
- McCarty Maxwell (@McCartyMaxwell on Twitter)- McCarty will graduate from Butler University in the spring with a BA in Sports Media. He has experience working with the Indianapolis Colts and Pacers in various roles and internships.
GAME COVERAGE STAFF-
- Robbie Dunne (@robbiejdunne on Twitter)- Robbie is the Managing Editor of SB Nation’s Atletico Madrid blog Into the Calderon. He lives in Madrid, Spain, but spent several years in the U.S. He will specialize in news postings.
- Ferras “Ross” Jarrar (@asaprockytop on Twitter)- Ferras is a Memphis native who is a Communications major at the University of Maryland.
- Brandon Abraham (@bcabraham on Twitter)- Brandon currently has season tickets to the Grizzlies and is passionate about the team. He graduated from the University of Tennessee Chattanooga with a Bachelors Degree in Communication and has experience as a play-by-play broadcaster for high school sports.
- John “Jack” Noonan (@jnoonan1307 on Twitter)- Jack is a law student at Ole Miss who is from Chattanooga. He is a die-hard Boston Celtics fan, so he brings with him a broader NBA perspective to the blog.
The new staffers will begin posting on the site during the All-Star Break. I look forward to working with them in the future - be sure to give them a hearty GBB welcome!