clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Grizzlies win in double OT in Brooklyn 131-125

It was the Jaren Jackson Jr. show in an overtime thriller

NBA: Memphis Grizzlies at Brooklyn Nets Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

Jaren Jackson Jr. had another excellent performance, with 36 points, 8 rebounds and 7-of-7 from the line. But the game would take two overtimes to get a result.

Early, Jaren took advantage of Brooklyn using the smaller Rondae Hollis-Jefferson on him, scoring 11 of the Grizzlies’ first 13 points. Overall, Jackson finished the first with 13 points: Allen Crabbe got himself into early foul trouble after picking up his third foul in the first 7:00 of the game. The Grizzlies built up a seven point lead at 24-17, but then allowed the Nets to go on a 9-2 run to close the quarter to know everything up at 26.

The Grizzlies rode their 46% shooting into the second frame to go back into the lead but the Nets wouldn’t go away, staying very active behind the arc. Brooklyn went 4-of-7 from 3, while the Grizzlies kept the pace and went 4-of-6 from long range. The two teams traded the lead several times the last few minutes of the quarter but in the end it was tied again, 58 all. Hollis-Jefferson was the big difference maker overall in the second scoring 10 points for Brooklyn.

The Grizzlies started out the third 3-of-4 from the floor to build up a quick 64-58 lead, but Brooklyn went on their own run, outscoring Memphis 12-5 over the next 4:00 to take a 70-69 lead. The Grizzlies went back to their big size advantage and outscored Brooklyn 18-10 in the third to put themselves in the lead 85-80. The Grizzlies also did a good job in that quarter of not fouling, only committing 3 fouls and limiting Brooklyn to just two foul shots.

NBA: Memphis Grizzlies at Brooklyn Nets Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

After a Grizzlies hoop to start the fourth, Brooklyn went on a 9-0 run to take an 89-87 lead. Brooklyn kept the streak going, building a 7 point lead before a Conley three cut it back to 94-90 with around 7:00 to go. The Grizzlies went a bit cold the next few minutes and Brooklyn built up a 102-95 lead with about 3:00 left in the game. That’s where Jaren Jackson took over. A four point play with less than a minute to go and then a game-tying three with 15 seconds to go and we get overtime.

Brooklyn started off the scoring in overtime with four free throws before a driving basket by Conley. Both teams went scoreless until Jaren put in a heavily contested layup with 35.4 left to cut it to 117-115. After a defensive stop and a time out Conley nailed a floater with ten seconds to go to tie it up at 117. Kyle Anderson forced a turnover to get Memphis the ball back with six to go but Conley missed a jumper to send us to the second overtime. Brooklyn didn’t make a shot from the floor in the first overtime.

The second overtime turned into a back-and-forth affair with both teams taking chances at the lead. Two Conley free throws put the Grizzlies up 128-125 with 19.9 left to go. On the ensuing Brooklyn possession the Grizzlies forced a turnover and Brooklyn sent Gasol to the line where he made one-of-two. D’Angelo Russell missed a three and that was all she wrote. Two Conley free throws got us to the final score of 131-125.

Mike Conley had a near-career-best game with 37 points, while Gasol picked up a double-double with 15 points and 15 boards. D’Angelo Russell had 26 for Brooklyn while DeMarre Carroll added in 21 off the bench on 7-of-10 shooting.

Memphis is back in action on Sunday afternoon in Philadelphia against the new look 76ers and Jimmy Butler.

Quick Notes

  • Brooklyn’s bench outscored Memphis’ bench 45-24
  • The discrepancy in foul shots was huge as Brooklyn had 30 attempts to the Grizzlies’ 22. For most of the game until overtime, Brooklyn had shot almost double the number of foul shots.
  • Marc Gasol was 6-of-6 from the floor through the first three quarters, missed all three of his shots in the fourth, and didn’t take a single shot in either overtime period.
  • After Jaren Jackson Jr. hit a layup with 35.4 seconds to go in the first OT he didn’t take a shot the rest of the game.