clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Grizzlies grab first road win of the year 101-93

Thanks to the T-Wolves, the Grizzlies can claim their first road win of 2018 on March 26th.

NBA: Memphis Grizzlies at Minnesota Timberwolves Jesse Johnson-USA TODAY Sports

The Memphis Grizzlies traveled to Minnesota to face the Timberwolves on Monday night. Memphis was seeking their first road win since December. The T-Wolves are fighting for a spot in the Western Conference playoffs and struggling with Jimmy Butler of late.

The first quarter started with combined 0-6 shooting from both teams, the Grizzlies starting 0-4 on from the floor (all four shots were three pointers). The Grizzlies controlled most of the first quarter, despite starting out slowly. With 8:48 left in the first quarter, Memphis had just one foul to give, but cleaned up on the defensive end to close the quarter.

NBA: Memphis Grizzlies at Minnesota Timberwolves Jesse Johnson-USA TODAY Sports

Dillon Brooks played just three minutes in the first quarter after picking up two quick fouls by the 8:48 mark. He would not play in the second quarter. Marc Gasol was aggressive offensively, though most of his shots came outside the paint, he finished the quarter with 10 points and four rebounds. Grizzlies would lead 26-25 after 12 minutes, Jamaal Crawford cut the lead to one with a three point heave at the 1st quarter buzzer.

Memphis started the second quarter playing in rare form, pushing the ball in transition. Minnesota looked tired the whole game, especially in the fast paced second quarter. Transition offense was the difference in the first half. Chandler Parsons made his impact late in the first quarter and through the first part of the second quarter. He would end the half with 3-5-3, and most importantly, running the Memphis offense.

Grizz would lead 41-39 with 6:04 left in the half, with multiple Grizzlies getting involved on the offensive end. A late rally by the Twolves in the last minute of the half was capped by a Andrew Wiggins steal and dunk to tie the game at 59. Parsons drew up a half court DIME to Wayne Selden with one second left in the half, Selden blew the bunny, leaving the game tied 59-59 at half.

NBA: Memphis Grizzlies at Minnesota Timberwolves Jesse Johnson-USA TODAY Sports

The third quarter started slowly for both teams, much like the first quarter. Dillon Brooks saw the floor to start the quarter, quickly putting up three jumpers. He played aggressively, but tried to force a little too much on the offensive end. Minnesota led 69-66 with 6:04 left in the quarter with no real flow to the game coming out of half time. Parsons used up his 15 minutes in the third quarter so Andrew Harrison would run the offense the rest of the game. Jeff Teague caught fire in the third, he would be the only Minnesota player to find any sort of rhythm. A late 8-0 run put the Grizz up two, which was quickly followed by an 8-0 Minnesota run. After three 36 minutes, the Twolves held the lead at 82-78.

Wayne Selden was the game MVP after his fourth quarter performance. He started the final quarter with nine straight points to put Memphis up 87-82. He completed an and-one, followed by two deep three pointers. He finished the night with 23 points on 9-14 shooting and 4-6 from three. The Grizzlies got in foul trouble early in the fourth as well, out of fouls to give with 8:12 left in the game.

The game never found an offensive flow through the final 10 minutes, as neither team could score. Minnesota played terribly on both ends and just looked tired. Marc Gasol knocked down two free throws to put the game at 99-93 in favor of Memphis, capped off by a late steal by Wayne Selden to seal the deal. The Grizzlies grabbed their first road win of 2018, beating the Minnesota Timberwolves 101-93. Selden scored a team high 23, Gasol finished with 20-10-6. Jeff Teague led the Twolves with a game high 25 on 7-13 shooting, 10-10 from the free throw line.

Memphis will host the Trailblazers on Wednesday night.

Follow @sbngrizzlies