The 2018 GBB Community Mock NBA Draft is under way! The draft is continuing through our Twitter account @sbngrizzlies if you want to follow it there as it develops. We are recapping picks here at GBB from now until draft week, and we have arrived at #9 overall with the New York Knicks and their mock GM McCarty Maxwell (@McCartyMaxwell).
First, a review of where we are in the draft. Check out this link to catch up on trade/pick explanations in our mock.
- Phoenix Suns- Deandre Ayton, center, University of Arizona
- Boston Celtics via Sacramento Kings- Luka Doncic, guard/forward, Real Madrid
- Atlanta Hawks- Jaren Jackson Jr., forward/center, Michigan State University
- Philadelphia 76ers via Memphis Grizzlies- Michael Porter Jr., forward, University of Missouri
- Dallas Mavericks- Marvin Bagley III, forward, Duke University
- Orlando Magic- Trae Young, guard, University of Oklahoma
- Chicago Bulls- Collin Sexton, guard, University of Alabama
- Cleveland Cavaliers via Brooklyn Nets- Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, guard, University of Kentucky
With the 9th pick in the 2018 GBB Community Mock NBA Draft, the New York Knicks select Mikal Bridges, forward, Villanova University
A proven winner. A champion. Arguably the player projected in the lottery to be good immediately. Despite his likely inability to be a “superstar”, sometimes being darn good is enough. That is Mikal Bridges.
Here is McCarty on the pick-
The Knicks will likely lose Michael Beasley to free agency, who was the go-to option for a bucket when KP went down. They need size that can spread the floor and handle the ball when KP is on the floor as well. Bridges was well coached in college and showed he can play multiple positions on both ends. He is one of the most reliable picks in the draft and could work on any team, but he especially works on a Knicks team that is many year in to a rebuild.
The Memphis Grizzlies are up next in our mock, and I will be honest - I was hoping Bridges would fall to me at 10 after my Philly trade. Now, one major player has fallen a good bit...but he isn’t really a fit in Memphis.
Do I trade the pick again? Do I take the best player on the board? Do I do both? Come back later today to find out!