The 2018 GBB Community Mock NBA Draft is under way! The draft is continuing through our Twitter account @sbngrizzlies if you want to follow it there as it develops. We are recapping picks here at GBB from now until draft week, and we are now at #20 overall with the Brooklyn Nets and their mock GM Cameron Johnson (@rcameronjohnson)...which means we have a trade!
Before we get to the trade and pick, a review of where we are in the draft. Check out this link to catch up on trade/pick explanations in our mock.
- Phoenix Suns- Deandre Ayton, center, University of Arizona
- Boston Celtics via Sacramento Kings- Luka Doncic, guard/forward, Real Madrid
- Atlanta Hawks- Jaren Jackson Jr., forward/center, Michigan State University
- Philadelphia 76ers via Memphis Grizzlies- Michael Porter Jr., forward, University of Missouri
- Dallas Mavericks- Marvin Bagley III, forward, Duke University
- Orlando Magic- Trae Young, guard, University of Oklahoma
- Chicago Bulls- Collin Sexton, guard, University of Alabama
- Cleveland Cavaliers via Brooklyn Nets- Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, guard, University of Kentucky
- New York Knicks - Mikal Bridges, forward, Villanova University
- Memphis Grizzlies via Philadelphia (Rights traded to Sacramento)- Mohamed Bamba, center, University of Texas.
- Charlotte Hornets- Wendell Carter Jr., forward/center, Duke University
- Los Angeles Clippers- Miles Bridges, forward, Michigan State University
- Los Angeles Clippers- Lonnie Walker, guard, University of Miami
- Denver Nuggets- Kevin Knox, forward, University of Kentucky
- Minnesota Timberwolves (via Washington Wizards)- Keita Bates-Diop, forward, the Ohio State University
- Phoenix Suns- Khyri Thomas, guard, Creighton University
- Milwaukee Bucks- Zhaire Smith, G, Texas Tech
- San Antonio Spurs- Robert Williams, G/C, Texas A&M University
- Atlanta Hawks- Jalen Brunson, G, Villanova University
WE HAVE A TRADE!
Here is a refresher on how the trade process works in the GBB mock. A trade is submitted to me and then I put it to a panel of respected and wonderful NBA/Grizzlies folks - Sagar Trika (whose NBA Twitter mock I was involved in), former GBBer and current Patreon page creator Matt Hrdlicka, and Sports56 WHBQ’s (and huge fan of the GBB bump) Peter Edmiston. All three must sign off on any trade before it can become official. This adds a layer of legitimacy and reality needed in this process, and their time is appreciated.
The trade was Brooklyn acquiring the #20 pick from Minnesota for #29, #40, and #45 in our mock. Minnesota wanted cheap depth, and the Nets had a player in mind they didn’t want to miss out on.
With the 20th pick in the 2018 GBB Community Mock NBA Draft, the Brooklyn Nets select Troy Brown, guard/forward, University of Oregon
Here is mock GM Cameron on the pick-
Troy Brown, who will still be just only 18 coming in to the draft on June 21st, is a perfect pickup for a team picking in the mid to late lottery. Standing at 6’7 and weighing in at 215 pounds, the former high school point guard projects to be a perfect fit for the modern NBA. He’s a tall, rangy wing who can handle the ball and defend at a high level. Earlier this month he compared his game to Andre Iguodala, and that’s exactly the type of player the Nets, or any team for that matter, desperately needs in today’s NBA.
He did not shoot well his Freshman year at Oregon, going 29% from 3, but the mechanics are there for him to develop into a good shooter down the road.
The mock Utah Jazz are on the clock!