The 2018 GBB Community Mock NBA Draft is underway! We are recapping picks here at GBB from now until draft week, and we are now at #24 overall with the Detroit Pistons and their mock GM Timmy Rever (@CoachRever)...which means we have a trade!
Before we get to the trade and pick, a review of where we are in the draft. Check out this link to catch up on trade/pick explanations in our mock.
- Phoenix Suns- Deandre Ayton, center, University of Arizona
- Boston Celtics via Sacramento Kings- Luka Doncic, guard/forward, Real Madrid
- Atlanta Hawks- Jaren Jackson Jr., forward/center, Michigan State University
- Philadelphia 76ers via Memphis Grizzlies- Michael Porter Jr., forward, University of Missouri
- Dallas Mavericks- Marvin Bagley III, forward, Duke University
- Orlando Magic- Trae Young, guard, University of Oklahoma
- Chicago Bulls- Collin Sexton, guard, University of Alabama
- Cleveland Cavaliers via Brooklyn Nets- Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, guard, University of Kentucky
- New York Knicks - Mikal Bridges, forward, Villanova University
- Memphis Grizzlies via Philadelphia (Rights traded to Sacramento)- Mohamed Bamba, center, University of Texas.
- Charlotte Hornets- Wendell Carter Jr., forward/center, Duke University
- Los Angeles Clippers via Detroit Pistons- Miles Bridges, forward, Michigan State University
- Los Angeles Clippers- Lonnie Walker IV, guard, University of Miami
- Denver Nuggets- Kevin Knox, forward, University of Kentucky
- Minnesota Timberwolves (via Washington Wizards)- Keita Bates-Diop, forward, the Ohio State University
- Phoenix Suns via Miami Heat- Khyri Thomas, guard, Creighton University
- Milwaukee Bucks- Zhaire Smith, G, Texas Tech
- San Antonio Spurs- Robert Williams, F/C, Texas A&M University
- Atlanta Hawks via Minnesota Timberwolves- Jalen Brunson, G, Villanova University
- Brooklyn Nets via Minnesota Timberwolves- Troy Brown, G/F, University of Oregon
- Utah Jazz- Donte Divincenzo, guard, Villanova University
- Chicago Bulls via New Orleans Pelicans- Dzanaz Musa, forward, Cedevita
- Atlanta Hawks via Indiana Pacers- Issac Bonga, G/F, Germany
Here is a refresher on how the trade process works in the GBB mock. A trade is submitted to me and then I put it to a panel of respected and wonderful NBA/Grizzlies folks - Sagar Trika (whose NBA Twitter mock I was involved in), former GBBer and current Patreon page creator Matt Hrdlicka, and Sports56 WHBQ’s (and huge fan of the GBB bump) Peter Edmiston. All three must sign off on any trade before it can become official. This adds a layer of legitimacy and reality needed in this process, and their time is appreciated.
Now, the trade. The Portland Trail Blazers send Meyers Leonard and #24 overall to the Detroit Pistons for Langston Galloway and #42 overall. Portland gets a better player, Detroit gets a better pick. Even deal.
With the 24th pick in the 2018 GBB Community Mock NBA Draft, the Detroit Pistons select Anfernee Simons, guard, IMG Academy
One of the youngest (and least experienced) players in this draft is finally off the board. GM Timmy talks the trade and pick here-
I felt as if the front court for the Pistons needed some younger depth. So when a chance to snag Meyers Leonard presented itself in addition to jump into the 1st round, I jumped on it.
The backcourt in Detroit is a complete mixture from young projects in Luke Kennard and Kay Felder to savvy veterans like Jameer Nelson. I knew I needed to find a way to get them a “lottery ticket” 2-guard late in the 1st round with pick 24.
There were plenty of safer picks, but I felt Anfernee Simons exemplified the upside Detroit’s backcourt needed to be paired with Andre Drummond and Blake Griffin for years to come. He’s the project of all projects, forgoing his college eligibility after one year at IMG Academy, and I think Dwayne Casey can mold him into a player similar to his former star SG — Demar DeRozan.
The L.A. Lakers are on the clock!