What: 2018 NBA Draft
When: 6:00 PM CT
Where: Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York
How to watch/listen: ESPN, GBB Podcast on Facebook
It is time for the fruits of “the tank” to be harvested! The Grizzlies have the 4th and 32nd picks in the NBA Draft tonight, and there are a variety of ways it can go.
- Memphis could stand pat at #4 overall, hoping that a Luka Doncic or Marvin Bagley III falls to them or simply selecting the best player available on their board, whether it is Jaren Jackson Jr. or Michael Porter Jr.
- The Grizzlies have been reported as fielding calls for #4 overall, with the Chandler Parsons contract potentially coming off of the books for Memphis. This would be a mistake in most cases, but if Doncic and Bagley are both gone it is worth listening to offers. Especially if it means staying in the lottery and adding other picks/future assets.
- Don’t forget about the Grizzlies pick at #32, where a draft night tumbling prospect or a sleeper for Memphis should be the pick. Who they take at the start of the 2nd round will likely be connected in terms of fit with #4, so that’ll be fun to watch play out.
- GBB is a part of two events today in Memphis! First, we’re at FedExForum for the official Grizzlies watch party with our good friend Holly Whitfield of I Love Memphis. We will have gear giveaways and we will be hosting a live podcast from FedExFourm where Mark King and Greg Ratliff will welcome Peter Edmiston and Greg Gaston of Sports56 WHBQ in Memphis, Geoff Calkins of 92.9 FM ESPN Memphis, Grind City Media members, and GBBers like me.
- From there, ILM and GBB hosts an after party at the Memphis Rec Room! Muddy’s Bake Shop is providing Grizzlies-themed cupcakes for the first 100 visitors to Rec Room for the after party, plus the giveaways will continue and there will be drink specials throughout the night ($1 off all beers!)
Memphis will be connected to trade rumors throughout the day/night, but they will hold steady at #4 hoping that Luka Doncic falls to them. He will not fall to them, though, as Doncic goes two to Sacramento after Deandre Ayton goes #1 overall to the Phoenix Suns. Atlanta takes Jaren Jackson Jr., and the Grizzlies will select Marvin Bagley III with the 4th overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft. Memphis will then take #32 and select Josh Okogie from Georgia Tech.
It is the biggest draft night in some time for the Memphis Grizzlies. If you’re near the Bluff City, come see us and say hello as we go through the ups and downs of the 2018 NBA Draft together!