The 2018 GBB Community Mock NBA Draft continues in full force! As we close out a lottery that has been full of shocking picks and trades, we are now finally at 15 with the Minnesota Timberwolves and their mock GM Nick Bushart (@nickbushart1). Minnesota and Nick previously moved Jimmy Butler and the 48th pick to Washington for Bradley Beal and the 15th pick in a blockbuster trade.
Here is a refresher on how the trade process works in the GBB mock. A trade is submitted to GBB Site Manager Joe Mullinax who then puts it to a panel of respected and wonderful NBA/Grizzlies folks - Sagar Trika (whose NBA Twitter mock Joe was involved in), former GBBer and current Patreon page creator Matt Hrdlicka, and Sports56 WHBQ’s (and huge fan of the GBB bump) Peter Edmiston. All three must sign off on any trade before it can become official. This adds a layer of legitimacy and reality needed in this process, and their time is appreciated.
Now, it’s review time. And I hope you studied. Check out this link to catch up on trade/pick explanations in our mock.
- Phoenix Suns- Deandre Ayton, center, University of Arizona
- Boston Celtics via Sacramento Kings- Luka Doncic, guard/forward, Real Madrid
- Atlanta Hawks- Jaren Jackson Jr., forward/center, Michigan State University
- Philadelphia 76ers via Memphis Grizzlies- Michael Porter Jr., forward, University of Missouri
- Dallas Mavericks- Marvin Bagley III, forward, Duke University
- Orlando Magic- Trae Young, guard, University of Oklahoma
- Chicago Bulls- Collin Sexton, guard, University of Alabama
- Cleveland Cavaliers via Brooklyn Nets- Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, guard, University of Kentucky
- New York Knicks - Mikal Bridges, forward, Villanova University
- Memphis Grizzlies via Philadelphia (Rights traded to Sacramento)- Mohamed Bamba, center, University of Texas.
- Charlotte Hornets- Wendell Carter Jr., forward/center, Duke University
- Los Angeles Clippers- Miles Bridges, forward, Michigan State University
- Los Angeles Clippers- Lonnie Walker, guard, University of Miami
- Denver Nuggets- Kevin Knox, forward, University of Kentucky
With the 15th pick in the 2018 GBB Community NBA Mock Draft, the Minnesota Timberwolves select Keita Bates-Diop, forward, Ohio State.
Here is Nick on the pick.
After trading Jimmy Butler to get Bradley Beal, the Timberwolves lacked depth at the wing. Crawford may not come back in free agency and a younger draft pick may not be as consistent. In drafting Bates-Diop I was able to get an experienced wing who is well rounded. He averaged over 19 points last year along with averaging roughly 8 rebounds a game. He was the Big Ten player of the year and I think he will be able to bring consistency off our bench. Some may think he’s a stretch, but he fills a need we had.
Obviously, the Mock Timberwolves are looking to get younger and more athletic, something the real Wolves are not.
Stay tuned for the rest of the picks in the GBB community NBA mock draft. After all, we still have a long ways to go!