The Hustle tipped off their 3rd season in exciting fashion with a fast paced game with the Texas Legends. Josh Jackson, among others, made their Hustle debuts last night but it was Jarrod Uthoff who stood out early. Uthoff scored 10 of the Hustle’s first 28 points while also picking up 2 boards and 2 steals. Jackson excelled early for the Hustle scoring 7 points and 2 rebounds helping the Hustle wrap up the first quarter with a 32-18 lead.
Both teams came out cold to start the second quarter with both offenses struggling to get good looks. It was a mostly uneventful quarter for both teams until the final minutes when the offenses got going again. The Legends were able to cut the Hustle lead to as little as 5 before back-to-back 3’s by Josh Jackson and Dusty Hannahs extended the lead back to double digits going into the half up 50-39.
The Hustle came out firing to start the 3rd quarter, building their lead up to 21 points before a Legends run cut the deficit to 13 late in the quarter. Ultimately the Hustle lead by 80-65 after a high scoring 3rd quarter. The quarter saw Matt Mooney go off for 11 points, shooting 3-3 from beyond the arc.
A 10-2 Legends run cut the Hustle lead to single digits early in the quarter but the Hustle held strong, not letting the Legends get any closer than 5 points throughout most of the quarter. The Hustle couldn’t quite put the Legends away, but ultimately held on long enough to pullout the 105-95 victory.
- Josh Jackson is too good for the G-League. I understand why he’s on assignment with the Hustle, but the assignment shouldn’t be long.
- Jarrod Uthoff was a nice pickup by the Grizzlies/Hustle. He scored, grabbed boards and had an overall positive impact (team high +22) on the game.
- Dusty Hannahs and Matt Mooney are going to be fun to watch this year from beyond the arc. The duo combined to shoot 6-11 from 3 last night.
- John Konchar is going to be the Hustle’s glue guy who does a little bit of everything.
- Marquis Teague has some rust to shake off after a poor shooting night.
- Yuta Watanabe struggled to find his shot most of the game, but still made a solid impact grabbing 12 rebounds.
Jarrod Uthoff- 23 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals
Josh Jackson- 18 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 blocks
Dusty Hannahs- 19 points, 3 assists
John Konchar- 16 points, 7 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 blocks
Matt Mooney- 11 points
Yuta Watanabe- 7 points, 12 rebounds