Hooray...a day where there are no trades!
In case you’re just joining us, here’s the deal. Every year before the NBA Draft we here at Grizzly Bear Blues put on a mock draft of epic proportions. This isn’t your granddaddy’s mock draft - there are trades (lots of them, as you’re about to see) that have to be approved unanimously by our trade panel (former GBBer/current Patreon page owner Matt Hrdlicka, NBA Twitter hero Sagar Trika, and Peter Edmiston of Sports56 WHBQ in Memphis and The Athletic) - and also all thirty teams are represented by a collection of GBB contributors, GBB community members/readers/Twitter followers, and members of the Memphis media.
Here is where we stand 16 picks in to the mock-
- New Orleans Pelicans - Zion Williamson, forward, Duke University
- Memphis Grizzlies - Ja Morant, guard, Murray State University
- Atlanta Hawks (via New York) - RJ Barrett, wing, Duke University
- New York Knicks (via Atlanta via LA Lakers) - Jarrett Culver, wing, Texas Tech
- Houston Rockets (via Cleveland) - De’Andre Hunter, wing, Virginia
- Phoenix Suns - Darius Garland, guard, Vanderbilt
- Memphis Grizzlies (via Chicago Bulls) - Cam Reddish, wing, Duke
- L.A. Lakers (via Atlanta Hawks) - Bol Bol, center, Oregon
- Washington Wizards - Bruno Fernando, center, Maryland
- L.A. Lakers (via Atlanta Hawks) - Tyler Herro, guard, Kentucky
- Minnesota Timberwolves - Coby White, guard, North Carolina
- Utah Jazz (via Charlotte) - Rui Hachimura, forward, Gonzaga
- Memphis Grizzlies (via Miami Heat) - Brandon Clarke, forward, Gonzaga
- Miami Heat (via Memphis Grizzlies via Boston Celtics) - Nassir Little, forward, North Carolina
- L.A. Clippers (via Detroit Pistons) - Jaxson Hayes, center, Texas
- Orlando Magic - Nickeil Alexander-Walker, guard, Virginia Tech
With the 17th pick in the 2019 GBB Community Mock NBA Draft, the Brooklyn Nets select P.J. Washington, forward, Kentucky.
Here’s what Colin has to say about the pick-
P.J. Washington fits well on this roster. An offensively gifted player in terms of scoring the ball as well as creating for himself and others. He should be able to carve out a role nicely on the Nets.
Washington is a strong and capable forward who showed real growth in his game this past season at Kentucky. While John Calipari and company are more known for one-and-dones than multiple year development, Washington became a better offensive player both as a scorer and facilitator. He has room to add to his game offensively, and should be a better rebounder than he is, but at #17 overall this is good value for Brooklyn.
With the 18th pick in the 2019 GBB Community Mock NBA Draft, the Indiana Pacers select Kevin Porter Jr., guard, USC
Here’s their GM on the selection-
The Indiana Pacers enter the summer in a fantastic position. While their playoff run ended in a disappointing fashion, the regular season ended with an incredible display of heart (dare I say grit?) after losing breakout star Victor Oladipo to a season ending quad injury. With the top half of the East looking a bit unsteady, and the bottom half looking quite underwhelming, the Pacers decided to stay put trade wise and simply draft the best talent available at a position of need in Kevin Porter Jr., a wing out of USC.
With Porter Jr. they get a good sized wing, still young enough to grow, with great length at 6’9” wingspan and great defensive potential. He’s also a willing and able shooter, hitting 41.2% of his threes at 8.3 attempts per 100 possessions. A young wing with great potential on both ends of the court, with room and potential to improve on a rookie contact is a godsend for a cap strapped playoff bound team.
Well put. Another solid value choice at #18.
Tomorrow the mock San Antonio Spurs and Boston Celtics are on the clock. The 2019 GBB Community Mock NBA Draft grinds on!