A day with no trades is a good trade in the 2019 GBB Community Mock NBA Draft.
In case you’re just joining us, here’s the deal. Every year before the NBA Draft we here at Grizzly Bear Blues put on a mock draft of epic proportions. This isn’t your granddaddy’s mock draft - there are trades (lots of them, as you’re about to see) that have to be approved unanimously by our trade panel (former GBBer/current Patreon page owner Matt Hrdlicka, NBA Twitter hero Sagar Trika, and Peter Edmiston of Sports56 WHBQ in Memphis and The Athletic) - and also all thirty teams are represented by a collection of GBB contributors, GBB community members/readers/Twitter followers, and members of the Memphis media.
Here is where we stand 18 picks in to the mock-
- New Orleans Pelicans - Zion Williamson, forward, Duke University
- Memphis Grizzlies - Ja Morant, guard, Murray State University
- Atlanta Hawks (via New York) - RJ Barrett, wing, Duke University
- New York Knicks (via Atlanta via LA Lakers) - Jarrett Culver, wing, Texas Tech
- Houston Rockets (via Cleveland) - De’Andre Hunter, wing, Virginia
- Phoenix Suns - Darius Garland, guard, Vanderbilt
- Memphis Grizzlies (via Chicago Bulls) - Cam Reddish, wing, Duke
- L.A. Lakers (via Atlanta Hawks) - Bol Bol, center, Oregon
- Washington Wizards - Bruno Fernando, center, Maryland
- L.A. Lakers (via Atlanta Hawks) - Tyler Herro, guard, Kentucky
- Minnesota Timberwolves - Coby White, guard, North Carolina
- Utah Jazz (via Charlotte) - Rui Hachimura, forward, Gonzaga
- Memphis Grizzlies (via Miami Heat) - Brandon Clarke, forward, Gonzaga
- Miami Heat (via Memphis Grizzlies via Boston Celtics) - Nassir Little, forward, North Carolina
- L.A. Clippers (via Detroit Pistons) - Jaxson Hayes, center, Texas
- Orlando Magic - Nickeil Alexander-Walker, guard, Virginia Tech
- Brooklyn Nets - P.J. Washington, forward, Kentucky
- Indiana Pacers - Kevin Porter Jr., wing, USC
With the 19th pick in the 2019 GBB Community Mock NBA Draft, the San Antonio Spurs select Romeo Langford, wing, Indiana University
With some mock drafts having Langford going as high as the late lottery, even with concerns about shooting percentages while at Indiana this feels like a steal. Maybe that’s the Spurs effect- San Antonio always picks later in drafts, and coach Gregg Popovich and company just continue to develop young talent and win. Langford has all the tools to be a very good NBA wing, but they have to be refined and trained. He couldn’t ask for a better landing spot.
Another prospect is about to luck out, as the mighty Boston Celtics are on the clock. With Anthony Davis in the fold how will Boston’s mock GM (GBB’s Parker Fleming) build around him?
With the 20th pick in the 2019 GBB Community Mock NBA Draft, the Boston Celtics select Grant Williams, forward, University of Tennessee
Ah yes, the favorite of all the blog boys.
In all seriousness, at #20 this would be a home run selection. Some have Williams as high as in the top-5 on their big boards (which is way too high), but there’s no denying the intelligence and grit in the game of Williams.
Here’s Parker on the pick-
With depth depleted, and the loss of assets in picks, I really needed find a NBA-ready player with the 20th pick. Grant Williams absolutely fits the bill. The big man out of Tennessee is a brilliant player that has tons of potential as a position-less playmaker in the frontcourt. He should thrive in Brad Stevens’ egalitarian offense with his passing and efficient scoring, and he also fits perfectly as at the 4 alongside one of AD, Al Horford, and Robert Williams.
Boston is set in the front court. How their free agency would work would be fascinating in this scenario...but this is just a mock draft. You’ll have to prognosticate on your own on that one.
The 2019 GBB Community Mock NBA Draft rolls on!