clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Grizzlies come back, stop Minnesota 119-112

Grizzlies win third straight behind huge game from Dillon Brooks

Minnesota Timberwolves v Memphis Grizzlies Photo by Joe Murphy/NBAE via Getty Images

The Grizzlies returned home Tuesday night for the first game out of six straight at FedExForum, the longest homestand of the season. Fresh off two straight road victories against the Suns and Clippers over the weekend, Memphis looked to extend that win streak to three and sweep the season series for the first time since 2012-2013 against the Timberwolves, who played once again without Karl Anthony Towns.

The Grizzlies first two possessions of the game ended up as turnovers but it took two full minutes for either team to score, a drought ended by a Ja Morant lay in. The Timberwolves would ride a 13-4 run to take an early seven point lead. The Grizzlies would cut that lead to two twice at 19-17 and 22-20. Minnesota would stretch it to eight before Memphis closed the quarter down just five at 32-27.

Dillon Brooks was the energy for the Grizzlies in the 1st half, scoring 14 points but would hit the bench after committing his 3rd foul of the half with about 7:30 left in the 2nd. Minnesota would eventually stretch their lead back out to 14 points before some late points from Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. would close it down to five again at the half, 56-51. Jarrett Culver and Dillon Brooks both had 14 points in the half for their teams to lead the way in scoring at the break.

The Grizzlies would cut the lead down to a single possession a couple different times, but back-to-back threes from Andrew Wiggins and a three from Shabazz Napier kept Minnesota in the lead early in the 3rd. The Timberwolves would stretch it back to an eight point lead before Memphis close it to two with less than a minute left. Tyus Jones turned the ball over for a third time on the night with 8.5 seconds left in the quarter and Minnesota held onto that two point advantage heading into the final quarter.

Dillon Brooks would finally tie things up, with a fadeaway jumper to start the 4th. A few possessions later, Ja Morant put the Grizzlies ahead for the first time since leading 6-4, at 86-84. Minnesota then leapt out on a quick 10-0 run to go back up eight before an 11-3 Grizzlies run would tie the game up at 97 with 6:18 to go. Back-to-back baskets by Dillon Brooks and an elbow jumper from Ja Morant gave Memphis their biggest lead to that point, 106-100 with 3:28 left.

Minnesota would close it to three before a Jackson Jr. three would stretch it back to six with 1:35 to go. Two Jeff Teague free throws and a Robert Covington and-one cut it to one before back-to-back baskets from Morant and Jackson Jr. made it 117-112 with 24.2 seconds on the clock. Two Jae Crowder free throws and a steal by Morant would seal the game for Memphis.

The 14 point comeback was the largest comeback of the season for the Grizzlies. Dillon Brooks led all scorers with 28 points and extending the undefeated streak of games in which he scores 20 or more. Ja Morant added 25 points including 10 in the 4th, while Jaren Jackson Jr. had 21 points for the Grizzlies. Jarrett Culver led Minnesota with 24 points in the loss.

Memphis returns to action Friday night looking to extend their winning streak as the San Antonio Spurs come into town for the second game of the homestand. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:00pm.