The Memphis Grizzlies have quite a crew of competition chasing them for the 8 seed when the 2019-2020 NBA season resumes in Orlando next month. It is only fitting that they will open up with one of their top competitors when Memphis first takes the floor at Disney.
Ja Morant and company will start the sprint for the postseason July 31st against Damian Lillard and the Portland Trail Blazers.
Six NBA games on July 31: Orlando/Nets at 2:30 p.m. ET, Grizzlies/Blazers, Suns/Wizards, Celtics/Bucks, Kings/Spurs, Rockets/Mavericks at 9 p.m. ET— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) June 26, 2020
The Memphis Grizzlies schedule in Orlando is as follows-
- July 31st vs. Portland Trail Blazers (4 PM ET)
- August 2nd vs. San Antonio Spurs (4 PM ET)
- August 3rd vs. New Orleans Pelicans (6:30 PM ET on ESPN)
- August 5th vs. Utah Jazz (2:30 PM ET)
- August 7th vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (4 PM ET)
- August 9th vs. Toronto Raptors (2 PM ET)
- August 11th vs. Boston Celtics (6:30 PM ET)
- August 13th vs. Milwaukee Bucks (To Be Determined)
Some quick takeaways-
- One ESPN game...I am surprised. Said no one.
- Only one game against the Pelicans instead of two. That could be pretty massive, especially considering the Pelicans are playing the Kings twice, the Orlando Magic, and the Washington Wizards. It is almost as if the NBA wants the Pelicans to have a real shot at that play-in...
- All three games Memphis has against teams chasing them are within the first week of the resumption. That carries weight - teams like Toronto and Boston, especially, may not be as hungry for wins as they are health heading in to the playoffs. A possible advantage for the Grizzlies...as is...
- A bit of luck once again strikes for the Grizzlies. Milwaukee in perhaps the final game before the playoffs will potentially be resting key players like Giannis Antetokounmpo and Khris Middleton. Considering that win could get the Grizzlies the 8 seed without a play-in potentially, that could be beneficial. If the Grizzlies can go 2-1 in those first three games, they may not be able to be caught in terms of missing the play-in certainly, and maybe even the 8 seed in general if they somehow go 3-0.
- Memphis gets to see two of their best old friends. Mike Conley on the 5th of August, Marc Gasol on the 9th. That’ll be fun.
The Grizzlies will be heading to the Orlando bubble at Walt Disney World on July 8th according to Shams Charania of The Athletic. From there, quarantines and training camps will begin - the 5 on 5 play that all teams will need to get ready won’t begin until that time. This is a less than ideal situation for the league - and especially the players - but the fact that we’re talking about basketball at all right now is a ray of light in some pretty dark skies.
Stick with GBB as the season resumes. We’re already in mid-season form.